Stocks, gains/losses, do I really have to calculate them by hand?

Fredrik Persson fredrik.p.persson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 10:30:10 EDT 2012

Let's assume I have an account with Stock X, where I buy and sell
frequently. It can be difficult to know exactly what gain, or loss, a trade
has generated. According to the concepts guide, I need to calculate this by
hand:

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/invest-sell1.html#invest-sellexample2

While this is trivial in the case described in in the link above, it's a
lot more difficult if you've bought and sold a number of times.

Do I really have to do this calculation by hand? Or does gnucash have
support for automatically calculating gains and losses from the
transactions alone?

Thanks in advance!