Using gnucash for UK sole-trader self-employed?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Apr 25 04:24:08 EDT 2012

On Tue 24 April 12 17:04:49 Julien Cornebise wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Is anyone out here using Gnucash in the UK for their activity as
> sole-trader self-employed?  Do you know how compliant it is with HMRC
> requirements (whatever they are)? How simple is it to generate the
> self-assessment, and the VAT declaration?
>
> I love Gnucash for my personnal accounts, and hope to use it for my
> professional work as a consultant -- but will only do so if it does
> not add to the UK-specific accounting complexities.

Hi Julien,

I've used GC for years for both personal and small business accounting (but
not sole trader, although I was one of those even more years ago in the days
of Quicken and Win 95...)

GC can't generate the VAT/Tax figures and submit them directly to HMRC, but it
is quite capable of giving you the numbers for you to manually transfer into
the forms on the HMRC website.

HTH,
Maf.