Finance::Quote Patch

Les lelliott5 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 07:35:00 EDT 2012

On 4/24/12 8:53 AM, John Ralls wrote:
> On Apr 24, 2012, at 2:39 AM, Les Elliott wrote:
>
>> I have been having problems with currency updates since Jan 2012 and filed
>> a bug report, received a reply with a patch.
>> I am using Mac OSX and Gnucash 2.4.10 and F::Q 1.17.  Unfortunately, I
>> don't have a clue how to apply the patch.  Can someone point me to some
>> instructions please?
>> tia
> The files you need to patch are in /Library/Perl/5.x/Finance/Quote/
>
> The "x" in 5.x is a number which depends on which version of OSX you're running; 10 for Snow Leopard and 12 for Lion.
>
> To apply the patch, use "patch"; run `man patch` in Terminal for detailed instructions.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Thanks for the post on updating with a patch file.  I have a question
though: why is it so much effort to install a patch?  If the patch
"fixes" a general problem, then why does it not "automatically"  update
like most patches (system updates)?  I am again, not technical, but
curious.

Thanks,
Les Elliott