three different business accounts

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Apr 28 14:45:32 EDT 2012

a)

>>That won't work as intended with GnuCash on OS X
>>
>It's not really a bug, and it's certainly not in OSX. Gnucash simply doesn't handle the "file open" apple event from Finder.
>
>Gnucash will open an arbitrary file if it's passed on the command line.

Because I'm running a fairly old version of gnucash and that under XP I
can't be sure of what happens with newer versions under OSX *BUT* I
suspect this is simply a matter of how you are opening what. Do the
newer version not allow you to start gnucash initially not opening ANY
file? In other words, you can't just open the app letting you see a menu
of things you might want it to do? And then if that choice is "open
books" (as opposed to open a budget, etc.) let you select what books
file from a menu?

"Shortcuts" are just that, quick ways to get to the most frequently
desired actions. And just clicking on a file object and letting the
system choose the app you have associated to its type identifier (file
extension) is a shortcut. Same is having a default of "last opened".
Computers cannot read our minds when we want some other action.

b) I have two different GnuCash accounts; one for my self, and one for
my church (I am treasurer). To do that most easily, I have two different
users on my machine (actually more, but that is for other things); one
is my usual login and the other is for my church. Under each login, I
created a GnuCash file, and the two are completely separate.

Not just a separate file but as a separate user (computer doesn't know
you're the same human) doing it this way you can have separate
preferences, settings, reports, etc. Can get even fancier. If your
operating system support a data area shared between users the books
could go there if you want to have multiple people access the books but
I think each user could have their own preferences, etc.

Michael