three different business accounts

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Apr 28 23:27:36 EDT 2012

On Apr 28, 2012, at 7:59 PM, prl wrote:

> On 29/04/12 12:42, Mike Alexander wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure what the full context of this question is, but GnuCash running in MacOSX will certainly open an arbitrary file if the path to that file is passed as a parameter to it on the command line.  I do it all the time.  There isn't any way to pass a file to an already running copy of GnuCash from the command line, is that what you're asking about?
>>
> It started from my comment that OS X Finder can't pass a file name to GnuCash when GnuCash is started by double-clicking on a .gnucash file. When you double-click on a .gnucash file when GnuCash isn't running, GnuCash starts, but uses the most recently used file, not the file that was double-clicked.
>
> John Ralls seems to think this is not a bug, while Geert Janssens seems to think it is. Take your pick.
>
> I didn't mention anything about passing arguments on the command line. All of that came from other posters.

It's not really a bug because Gnucash isn't a Mac application, it's a ported Gtk application. To handle the Apple event, it would have to have platform-custom code. Accepting that as a bug leads to accepting that not being a native mac (or windows) application is a bug, which in turn would require writing and maintaining (at least) 3 separate versions of Gnucash. I'm not willing to go there and I doubt that Geert is either.

I know that you know your way around shell scripts and creating script applets, so I figured that you'd pick up on that and figure out how to write a script-applet to do what you want.

Regards,
John Ralls