QIF import wizard doesn't show memo's

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 9 11:19:31 EDT 2012

Hi,

David Stibbe <dstibbe at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to export a QIF file into Gnucash.
> The QIF file consists of transactions and are recognised as such. However,
> when I come to the screen where I have to match the Payee's to the gnucash
> accounts, the column 'Payee/memo' only shows the payee and not the memo.
>
> An example from my QIF:
> !Type:Bank
> D20110630
> T-154,76
> P1234568
> M Some other comment about the transaction
> ^
> D20101129
> T-1,85
> P1234567
> MSome comment about the transaction
> ^
>

> What am I doing wrong?

Nothing.  The Payee always takes precedence over the Memo.  If a Payee
exists QIF will always prefer it (and only display it).  The Memo only
gets shown if there is no Payee.  This is by design.

Why do you have Payees of numbers?  The Payee should be the actual, um,
Payee.  Who did you pay with these transactions?