Retained Earnings Question

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Aug 12 10:25:30 EDT 2012

Please address your questions about Gnucash to the Gnucash Users list, not to individual developers. I've CC'd the list in this reply for your convenience; please use "Reply All" or "Reply List" so that the list is CC'd. Please also when you have a new question originate a new email rather than replying to an older one so that the mail archivers know to start a new thread.

Retained earnings is an equity account for businesses. Unless you're running an investment company, your profits from stock trading are a special form of income, capital gains.

Most of the learning curve in Gnucash is, IMO, learning how to do accounting. If you find that the Tutorials and Concepts Guide insufficient, consider getting an introductory accounting textbook or taking a introductory accounting course. Not only will a solid understanding of accounting make it much easier to use Gnucash, it will also make you a much better investor.

Regards,
John Ralls