changing a large number of transactions in a batch -- impossible?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 13:36:39 EDT 2012

Anna--

Derek's points are all accurate.

My experience has been that changing a subset of a register's transactions--even a large subset--can be handled pretty quickly with just a few tricks.

First, open the register with the erroneous transactions in it, and set the view to Transaction Journal view. Next, get to the split of a transaction you want to change, and change it. Before leaving the field, highlight the full account information (for example, "Expenses:Business:New Account") and copy it. Now, press "Enter", and because of how Gnucash works, the transaction will "disappear" from the current register. (Actually, the transaction isn't gone, it's just been moved to the new account register. Since you changed the split line that anchored the transaction to the current register, it goes away from this one.) Go to the next transaction you want to move, highlight the current account split line, and paste in the account information. Pressing enter will disappear this transaction as well. Repeat for each transaction you want to move, and before you know it, you'll be done.

HTH,
David