changing a large number of transactions in a batch -- impossible?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Mon Aug 20 18:02:18 EDT 2012

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:41:25 +0000 (UTC)
"Anna's unattended mail" <anna.morris-1okt59qe at cool.fr.nf> wrote:

> > That begs the question of how you got hundreds or thousands of
> > transactions input with the wrong data in the first place?
>
> It doesn't matter how it got that way.
>
> > Perhaps the right time to fix it would be when you enter the data?
>
> This would require a crystal ball.  Users cannot predict the future.
> This is like saying an OS does not need a "mv" command, because users
> can organize their files in advance, and put each file in the right
> place the first time.

Being sadly familiar with a commercial package, popular in Australia, I
can advise that ability to change your account structure is not always
available.

Whether your accountant assists with the setup or not, mistakes can
still be made n the account hierarchy setup.
In Gnucash I do a find to find the transactions I want to move, then
transfer the transactions one-by-one with a series of keystrokes. It
works like a game of Space Invaders as you move all the transactions
until the result of the 'find' is blank. It might be tedious but it
does work.