Weird behaviour with trading accounts?

Mark msalists at gmx.net
Mon Aug 27 15:48:21 EDT 2012

Mike,

this is the solution - or better the bug, as far as I can tell...

You wrote "Then enter 124.70 in the Debit column and tab out of the
split." - that's the key - I have not been doing that, but this is
exactly what I should not have to do!
Usually, the user would not know the exchange rate before the popup
opens. So having to enter an amount in the second split row with the
foreign currency does not make sense. It would force me to manually
figure out the exchange rate and convert the amount beforehand.
The user (and GnuCash also!) should leave the amount of the second split
empty and have it populated automatically after submitting the exchange
price popup.
This is how it works in the Basic Ledger view - I don't have to manually
convert here either - I just enter the EUR amount and the USD amount is
put in automatically after I click OK in the conversion rate popup.

The problem is that once the second split row is created, that row is
automatically populated with the amount of the first split row.. So we
have 100 in both split rows, but the first row is EUR, and the second is
USD.
And because the exchange rate is not 1:1 but whatever else, there is a
difference between the tow rows, which GnuCash will post to the
imbalance account.

If I try to remove the amount from the second split's Debit field before
opening the conversion popup, it creates a third split row, which messes
things up even more...

If you have figured out a way to enter this scenario properly when using
Transaction Journal view without having to enter the manually converted
amount in the Debit field, let me know.

Thanks,

Mark