Understanding the 'transfer' list of options...

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Aug 28 18:36:04 EDT 2012

On Tue 28 August 12 04:03:54 Expert_wannabe wrote:
> Firstly, a big thank you to both Colin and Maf for your replies.
> I really appreciate it.
>
> I've spent quite a few more hours 'playing' with this since posting.
>
> Maf...
> You mentioned that you put VAT items into somewhere and used 'split'
> I would assume that if I put an expense into e.g Expenses:VAT
> Purchases:Office, that it would automatically take 20% off and stick it
> somewhere else for VAT purposes!!
> Is that not the case? and if not, then do I have to do a 20% manual
> calculation for everything I do and move it to separate accounts?
>
> If I have to do that, then I'll probably go back to using Excel, it will be
> easier.....

Hi Larry,

In addition to the exellent answers by Colin & Liz, I will add that the
"business features" module can handle automatic VAT calculations for Invoices
and Bills.  It takes a wee bit of setting up, in that you have to go through
and create tax rate tables and vendors etc. as needed and learn a different
workflow.  The docs cover this IIRC.

HTH,
Maf.

> Thanks again
> Larry.
>

> --
Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542