Purchases for customers and how to enter this

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 3 10:06:14 EST 2012

Hi,

bhcs_gnucash at nym.hush.com writes:

> Hi all,
>
> thank you for your replies to this (and Kash for the link). All
> appreciated. I feel I have a better understanding of things now,
> and I am getting gnucash set up to suit my needs.
>
> I have got the Chargeback to Customer to tie in with that
> customers' next Invoice. I am open to correction, but I don't think
> gnucash is set to keep track of inventory (i.e. I was hoping to use
> gnucash to link purchases made as Stock until it is sold to the
> customer). So I think, for my needs, I will just do this manually
> (an extra transaction to deal with Stock - once it is sold to
> customer, I will transfer it from an asset to an expense). The idea
> being that at any given moment, I could run a report that indicated
> how much stock I had, how much I purchased for the year to date,
> and how much has been sold on to customers.

You are correct, GnuCash does not have Inventory support.

> One thing I am unclear about from the gnucash Tutorials and
> Concepts guide.
>
> In relation to a new Vendor Invoice, it states:
>
> "Invoiced? - X means the item is attached to this invoice, an empty
> box means the item is not attached to this invoice. If the box is
> empty you can attach the item to the invoice by first selecting the
> item row and then clicking in this box."
>
> I am a little unclear about this. What exactly does this field do?

It's really only necessary for Chargeback items on a Customer Invoice.
Everywhere else it is irrelevant and can (and should) be ignored.

> If I purchase items from a vendor, I presume it is part of the
> invoice by default, do I have to manually click this box every
> time?

No.  It'll be added automatically.

> Also, in practice, this field is always empty and non-editable when
> I create a new Invoice. Is this the case for everyone else?

Yes, it should only be editable for chargeback items.