what is the table 'slots' good for

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Dec 5 20:14:28 EST 2012

On Dec 5, 2012, at 2:30 PM, Klaus Dahlke <klaus.dahlke at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi John,
> in meanwhile, I deleted the entries in the slots table for the Bayesian filters. Here are now some results on the database activity by checking the entries into the log of the postgresql database:

[SNIP]
> Again, heavy traffic on the slots table:
> # grep -i select *.csv | grep -c -i slots
> 2461
> # grep -i insert *.csv | grep -c -i slots
> 5683
> # grep -i delete *.csv | grep -c -i slots
> 2397
> # grep -i update *.csv | grep -c -i slots
> 0
>
> So, reconciling 20 records for a single account causes ~400 select, ~800 insert and ~400 delete statements on the slot table.
>
> Is there a change for on overhaul of the concept of using the slot table for one of the next releases?

As I said early in this thread, there's a lot of stuff dumped into KVP to allow new features to not break reading the database on older versions of Gnucash. Yes, it's a real mess. Yes, we do want to better normalize the schema, but there's a lot of other work that needs to happen first, to the extent that it will be several years before we start on renormalizing.

Regards,
John Ralls