Tips on data input

jcard21 xxxxxxx jcard21+gnucash at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 06:19:00 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Chris Henderson <henders254 at gmail.com> wrote:
...snip...

(Note: I use Windows Vista and Firefox.)

Chris,

1. Request a paper receipt every time you buy/spend. If your are
making an online purchase, save the html "receipt" to your computer in
*.mht format.

2a. Enter all your transactions for that day into gnuCash DAILY ...
set aside the time! It shouldn't take you more than 1 minute per the
average transaction.

2b. As necessary, split your transactions into appropriate expense accounts.

3. I NEVER download transactions from my bank or credit card accounts.
I only download the bank/credit card statements (pdf) once a month,
and I use the gnuCash reconcile process by checking the appropriate
transaction boxes. Reconciling takes me about 1-2 minutes per account.

Before closing gnuCash ...

4. Keep the Transaction Report and the Expense Accounts Pie Chart open
in gnuCash tabs, so you don't have to re-select the options you want.

5. Reload the Transaction Report and export to an HMTL file. This
allows you to quickly view your spending in a browser (faster) without
starting up gnuCash (slower).

6. Reload the Expense Accounts Pie Chart. Take a screen print; save it
to a jpg file (I use irfanview). You can quickly view your pie chart
in your browser without starting up gnuCash.

I hope this helps you.

--
jcard21