Starting with GNUCASH

Dustin Henning The00Dustin at gmx.net
Fri Dec 7 06:37:02 EST 2012

Quick answer, because I'm short on time: Really, you CAN do this however you
want.  I haven't read the getting started guide or manual, but they may have
examples of a good way to do it.  Technically, you SHOULD make it reflect
reality / tax laws in your jurisdiction, so you need to ask an accountant
how it should look at the end of the day if you care about that.  I don't do
escrow, but since a mortgage is an owed amount, I have a transaction from a
mortgage interest account to the mortgage account when interest is charged.
Another way to do it would be to use a split transaction, so the whole sum
comes out of your checking account, but part goes to the mortgage, part goes
to the interest, and part goes to the escrow, each directly.  Either of
these PROBABLY makes more sense than having a separate pass-through account,
but I am not an accountant.  If you want to figure it out on your own (vs
looking at help, guides, or the manual), the split button on the toolbar is
one way to make one transaction have multiple destinations (and/or sources).
	Dustin