gnucash-user Digest, Vol 117, Issue 8

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 15:12:04 EST 2012

Phil,

Set up one expense account for sales taxes with two sub-accounts:
1. Sales taxes actual spent
2. Sales taxes actual spent-contra

The second one, the contra account is called that because it will
exactly offset the first subaccount so that the net balance of the
parent account will always be zero. (In accounting terms, it's called
a contra-expense account because it is expected to have a credit (that
is, negative) balance, normally.)

Then in every purchase transaction, enter a split transaction as
follows, using your numbers:

Debit: Clothing expense              $50.00       (increase expense)
Debit: Sales taxes actual spent       4.55       (increase expense)
  Credit: Checking Account                            $50.00      (or
credit card or whatever you used to pay with; decrease asset or
increase liability)
  Credit: Sales taxes actual spent-contra          4.55       (decrease expense)

The clothing expense account amounts will be grossed up and compare to
your budget amounts. The cumulative amount in the Sales taxes actual
spent sub-account will be the actual amount spent on sales taxes with
all the detail of the individual expenditures if you need an audit
trail to support your deduction available in the account. The net
effect of the two sales taxes subaccounts will be zero, so no double
counting in total.

Alex