Duplicating hierarchy of accounts

Lincoln A Baxter lincoln.a.baxter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 13:12:23 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-12-15 at 08:32 -0800, gnucash_rob wrote:
> I would like to duplicate a hierarchy of accounts (as I have a Junior ISA for
> each of my twins and they are identical) This has a top level placeholder
> account, then a number of stock and bank accounts below it.
>
> The only reference I can find to doing this in gnucash is here:
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Is-there-any-way-to-copy-an-account-sub-hierarchy-td1424297.html
> However, it doesn't actually explain how to do it.
>
> I have tried copying the whole structure of the account and its
> sub-accounts, but the lower accounts then point to the original. So I then
> tried removing the guid's from each of the subaccounts, but that just
> blanked the values on all my accounts.
> Could someone please explain the best way of achieving this?
> Thanks!

Try doing what you did, but generating new UUIDs for the new accounts...
to reference.  If you are running on a debian linux derived OS, the uuid
package will give you the uuid command which will print out uuids.

        $ uuid
        9e895d86-46e2-11e2-a71f-6cf04904c409

You can also generate them online: http://www.guidgenerator.com/