entering transactions without using the mouse

Adrian Mariano adrian at mitre.org
Mon Dec 17 11:40:38 EST 2012

I would like to be able to enter transactions without using the mouse,
and unless I've overlooked something, this is kind of awkward.  Problems
arise when the account doesn't match the last transaction with the same
description.  So what typically happens is

Enter date
<tab>
enter description
<tab>
gnucash retrieves the last matching transaction, which is a complicated
split with 5 accounts

At this point it appears the best solution is to cancel the transaction
and start over.  So instead I have to do this:
enter date
<tab><tab>
enter account
<back tab>
enter description
enter amount

Is there some better way to do this that I have overlooked?