Taxable scholarships?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Dec 20 07:32:00 EST 2012

> Ah, OK, this makes sense. I was kinda hoping that there would be
> something in the tax options that would cause this to be figured
> automatically (i.e. so it would update itself if I corrected a
> mis-categorized expense or something), but this will suffice, at least
> for now.  Thank you for the advice.

I'm not at all sure what you mean by this. In what way (except for the
final manual adjustment) would what I suggested not be "automatic"?

Say you had miscategorized a book purchase. You spent $100 in the book
store and (initially) initialally entered that in the "textbook expense"
account. Later you realized that this was an error, only $80 of that
purchase was for allowed text books but $20 was for a book you bought to
give as a present. So you enter a correction transaction (best practice
in accounting; do not delete anything once entered) transferring $20
from "textbook expenses" to "personal books expense". The balance in
"textbook expense" WILL automatically correct the balance of that account.

Michael