Program is hanging up

Steve butterandsalt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 15:19:04 EST 2012

Think I found the "culprit"...

1. Several days ago when I did my FIRST installation of GnuCash, I was busy
importing my data.  I took a break and started looking at how I could
enhance the appearance.  I saw reference to the "gtk2_prefs" program in the
Bin directory, that would change the appearance of the program, etc.  I
toyed with various choices in that program, and settled on the
"Smooth-Tangerine-Dream" style.  I can't say I recall it exactly, but I
THINK I noticed the GnuCash program starting to hang up at that point,
although it was a small annoyance because the delays were not significant.
Anyway, I went back to continue to work on importing my data.  And as I
reported here, yesterday it finally got to the point where the "hang-ups"
made the program unusable.

2. Today I tried your suggestion of running the program under a separate
user.  And as I reported, the program ran fine.  At first I used some dummy
data, then I copied over my data files that I was usiing yesterday, and it
continued to work fine.

3. A little bit ago I then ran that "gtk2_prefs" program and installed the
"Smooth-Tangerine-Dream" style for this NEW user.  Immediately the program
"hung-up" just like it did for my original user name.

4. I just created ANOTHER NEW user, installed my original data files, and
the program seems to run fine.

SO:

a. My question is now, how to SCRUB my original user so there's no
indication the "gtk2_prefs" program ever ran.  Note:  As I said earlier,
when I was running the original user and encountered the problem, I did
UNINSTALL the program AND I did delete all of the folders--including those
starting with "."  But when I reinstalled the program and ran it, it was
still hanging up, so obviously (?) I must have missed something because it
was "remembering" my choice of the "Smooth-Tangerine-Dream" style.

b. Any guidance how best to "cleanse" my system so that any traces of
running that "gtk2_prefs" program are removed, would definitely be
appreciated.  Related, have their been any reported problems with that
program?

Anyway, I could be wrong, but based on the past hour or so, that's what I
noticed and hoping that will helpful for you to lend some insight.

Thanks again...