Old file requires newer version?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Dec 24 21:01:57 EST 2012

On Dec 24, 2012, at 2:54 PM, Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:

>> The file contains a top-level element that the current version of Gnucash doesn't know about, and we blindly assume that it's from a newer, rather than an older, version.
>> Unfortunately, in order to use this file with a current Gnucash you'll need to find and install intermediate old versions to upgrade the data to a form that the current Gnucash can understand. This will likely be quite difficult.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
> WHOA!  That's a SERIOUS "bug" situation.
>
> Are you saying that all of us who do not upgrade each and every version are screwed? There are good reasons why working software is left untouched until there is NEED for some new feature, etc.

Settle down and read the FAQ:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Can_a_new_GnuCash_release_still_read_my_old_data_file.3F

This is hardly news, it comes up here every few months.

While the FAQ says "if you have a data file created with GnuCash 2.0.3, you should be able to open this with for example 2.2.5", my impression from previous folks asking that this isn't actually correct, that some compatibility-breaking changes were in fact made between the 2.0 and 2.2 series and 2.2 didn't retain the ability to read the earlier version.

Regards,
John Ralls