How often does gnucash update stock quote?

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Sat Dec 29 01:58:56 EST 2012

On 28/12/12 02:26, John Ralls wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2012, at 4:12 PM, Chris Henderson <henders254 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am tracking some stocks in two different stock market in two
>> different time zones. Does gnucash update stock quote in real time
>> while it's open and when the stock market is open for that time zone
>> or do I need to go to tools - price editor - get quotes every time I
>> need an updated price or does gnucash update stock quote every time I
>> open and close the application itself?
>>
>> I have noticed section 8.6.3.2. of
>> http://gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/invest-stockprice1.html
>> but if I do
>>
>> /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash --add-price-quotes ~/foobar
>> Don't have write access to /Library
>> dyld: DYLD_ environment variables being ignored because main
>> executable (/bin/ps) is setuid or setgid
>> Application Path /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin
>> Found Finance::Quote version 1.18
>>
>> cat ~/foobar
>> cat: /Users/tanman/foobar: No such file or directory
>>
> "foobar" needs to be a Gnucash account file which contains commodities set up for quote retrieval.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I don't get the "Don't have write access to /Library" error (OS X
10.8.2, Gnucash 2.4.11), whether the account file exists or not.

The "DYLD_ environment variables being ignored" warning is innocuous in
this case (it's a protection against someone hacking the system by
having a setuid program execute using potentially non-safe dynamic
libraries, which someone might have put *any* sort of operations in).

Peter