Relocation of path for preference files?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Dec 30 11:00:17 EST 2012

On Dec 30, 2012, at 4:52 AM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> On 30-12-12 13:20, Steve wrote:
>> Risk aside, my question was, and I remain interested in knowing if it's
>> possible to relocate the path of the files in question.
>>

>> --
> If you are on Windows or Mac, you can set the HOME parameter in the gnucash environment file to the base path where you want all the preference files and directories to be stored in. I wouldn't do this on any linux system though, because you would be relocating files and folders that other applications depend on as well.
>
> The environment file on Windows can be found in
> <path-where-you-installed-gnucash>\etc\gnucash
>
> There are other path setting examples in this directory which you can mimic to setup a HOME parameter.
>
> Last note: the environment file gets overwritten when you upgrade gnucash, so after updates you will have to add your HOME parameter again.

Macs are Unix. You shouldn't globally change $HOME there, either. You *can* however, change it in the startup script, Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash.

There's also $GNC_DOT_DIR, which controls the location of gnucash's own files, and which defaults to  $HOME/.gnucash/ and on Macs is set in that same script to Library/Application Support/Gnucash.

Other than fiddling $HOME I don't know of any way to relocate .aqbanking or .gconf... and on Linux, GConf is a service used by a number of applications.

Regards,
John Ralls