Relocation of path for preference files?

Steven Hale email at stevenhale.co.uk
Sun Dec 30 12:45:48 EST 2012

> Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:04:03 +0000
> From: Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>
> To: John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
> Cc: "gnucash-user at gnucash.org" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
>
> Using a link should work should it not?

I can confirm under Linux using symbolic links to move the preference
files works file.

I keep all my GnuCash stuff in:

/home/hale/Project/Finance

I have the following two links setup:

/home/hale/.gnucash -> /home/hale/Project/Finance/Gnucash
/home/hale/.gconf/apps/gnucash -> /home/hale/Project/Finance/Gconf/apps/gnucash

And everything under /home/hale/Project/Finance is an SVN repository.
My GnuCash file is uncompressed XML so it works better with SVN rather
than constantly committing the whole gzipped version.

I can then checkout and update all my finance stuff on different
systems - my home PC, my work PC, and my laptop.  Using the symbolic
links ensures that GnuCash always opens that way I left it (account
tabs etc.) no matter which PC I am using.

There might be a better way but this works for me.

Steve.