reconciling oddity

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Feb 4 21:20:57 EST 2012

Hi,

On Sat, February 4, 2012 6:09 am, Shane Litherland wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Note whilst reconciling; can add/change/edit txns in relevant acct
> during a reconcile (i.e. with the reconcile dialog still open) and
> changes will update in reconcile dialog
>
> but 'final balance' won't.

Which final balance?  You mean the statement balance (which you are
supposed to enter from the statement itself)?  Or the computed difference
until you are done and can finish the reconcile.

> have to postpone reconcile, re-commence it, and change the date field to
> get the 'final amount' to refresh/recalculate.
>
> Anyone else notice this?

You can add transactions just fine without affecting the reconcile
balances.   I do this all the time and have never had a problem.  I've
also changed transaction amounts during reconcile without a problem,
either.  Although it's possible I never tried it while I had it checked
off.

If you're just taking GnuCash's suggestion for the ending balance, then
you are correct, that will NOT change during the reconcile session.  That
is as designed, because the balance is supposed to be the balance from
your statement, and that most definitely cannot change during a reconcile
session!  (Unless you are Harry Potter, in which case the piece of paper
could theoretically change in front of you -- but then you would just
leave your money in Gringott's and wouldn't need GnuCash).

Enjoy!

> -shane.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745