Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sun Feb 5 01:40:30 EST 2012

--On February 3, 2012 11:54:34 AM -0500 David Reiser
<dbreiser at earthlink.net> wrote:

> It looks like finance-quote is having troubles with all currencies
> today -- which suggests yahoo has done something again. Last time we
> had a disruption, it went away in a day. We'll see.

Yahoo changed their website and since finance quote works by screen
scraping it any change is likely to break it.  Actually finance quote
uses two different URLs to get currency quotes.  One of them changed
several months ago and it fell back to the other.  That one changed on
Feb. 1 so it didn't work either.

I've attached a zip file that contains two patches.  The first one
fixes both of these URLs to work again.  The second is an unrelated
change that makes very small exchange rates work better.  For example
the KRW to USD exchange rate was 1 krw = 0.0009 usd before the change
and it's 1 krw = 0.00089656 usd after.

I've submitted these to the finance quote site, but I doubt much will
happen with them.  Other patches submitted over a year ago have never
been applied to the repository and there hasn't been a new version in
over two years.

           Mike