GnuCash Oracle File Format

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Feb 6 23:16:59 EST 2012

On Feb 2, 2012, at 8:17 PM, JonBL wrote:

> Hi, I'm a newbie to GnuCash, running v 2.4.7 on Fedora 14. I'm working
> through the online doco, and have successfully created an XML file for my
> chosen accounts.
>
> When choosing option File -> Save As..., XML was the only available option
> for my GnuCash file. If I had SQLite3, mySQL or PostgreSQL installed on my
> F14 box (none presently are), presumably I could have chosen one of these
> database file options instead of XML. Is that understanding correct, and if
> so, would GnuCash go on to create the database, or would I need to first
> create the database before nominating it as the GnuCash file object?
>
> My preferred GnuCash file option is to use an Oracle database. Is there any
> way of using Oracle instead of SQLite2, mySQL or PostgreSQL for this
> purpose?

Gnucash will create the database if it can and needs to. That means that the user you log in to the database server with needs to have the appropriate privs (for MySql and pgsql; SQLite doesn't do privs). Otherwise, create the database (be sure to set the locale to whatever you want with charset UTF8, particularly if you're doing MySql) and let Gnucash connect to it. The Gnucash user needs CREATE TABLE and below.

Oracle: Only if you write it. Oracle ain't free (or even cheap), so we won't.

Regards,
John Ralls