Advanced portfolio report

Stein Erik Berget gnucash at berget.org
Tue Feb 7 05:11:26 EST 2012

Hi there!

I've been using GnuCash for a while for my families personal finances.
I've actually tried to set up a account structure that looks more or less
like the Norwegian standard... Yes it is blown over the top overkill, but
why not? I'm trying to pick up some accounting as a I go along as well.
There are a few things in the NS (Norwegian Standard) that does not cater
for a personal finance situation :-P

In this case we own some stocks and have some savings in mutual funds. In
this regard I find the Advanced Portfolio quite useful. But (there had to
be on in there? :-P) there are a few things I don't understand how to
achieve or understand. I'll go through what I understand it to do, and I
hope someone can help me adjust my understanding. If helpful I'll try to
help you guys (and girls?) improve on the documentation if you like.

Account
The account for the stock symbol

Shares
The number of shares we have for a given symbol

Price
The current price, taken from the 'price editor' configured from the
'report options'.

Basis
The value of the symbol given the price and # of shares at the time of
purchase

Value
The current value of the symbol given the price and # of shares

Money in
The money spent getting this stock, from beginning of time?

Money out
The money you have taken out of this account, without taking gain/loss
into account...

Income
This one I don't know how to get calculated. I was expecting this to be
dividends payed by # of shares or something, but that don't seem to work...

Realized Gain
The gain you have realized by selling shares

Unrealized Gain
The gain you might realize by selling shares

Total Gain
Realized and unrealized gain in total

Total Return
The total gain on this investment in %. Including/excluding brokerage
fees, depending on report options.

Brokerage Fees
The fees payed regarding this symbol.

Brokerage Fees I'm able to get going, but 'income' I don't see happening
:-( If someone can help me with this, I would really be happy. The same
goes for dividends, but it seems like the guide says that this have to be
calculated manually :-(

Happy coding and accounting! :-D
--
Stein Erik Berget