Can't run 2.4.10 (was: GnuCash 2.4.10 released)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Feb 7 12:02:42 EST 2012

On Feb 7, 2012, at 8:06 AM, Dustin Henning wrote:

> 	I am on WinXP and unable to run or debug anything newer than 2.4.9
> stable (at least starting whith r21886)...  This includes 2.4.10.  When I
> run gnucash.exe, gconfd-2.exe raises an application error.  Since it is
> happening in a "stable" version, I ran gnucash.exe with --debug --extra and
> clicked OK to terminate when the application error pops up, and the trace
> file was empty.  I tried again and clicked cancel to debug and then
> gconfd-2.exe launched and crashed again.   This time it launched
> repetitively even when I clicked OK to cancel (it appeared to be launched by
> gspawn-win32-helper.exe most times).  The application error is always as
> follows:
> The instruction at "0x7c910cce" referenced memory at "0x676f7250".  The
> memory could not be "read".
> The second attempt at least left a little bit of data in the log file at
> some point, so I have attached it.  I am guessing this is related to the new
> version of GTK, as it seems like that was mentioned in r21886 as well.  Is
> WinXP supposed to still be supported?  Is there anything else I can try to
> get more information?  Thanks,

Yes, XP is still supported, and I tested the 2.4.10 release on XP before I uploaded it to SourceForge.

Gconfd doesn't use Gtk, so it would be strange if 21886 is the problem.

If you don't mind doing a bunch of downloads, you can do a bisect of sorts with the nightly builds at http://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/2.4 . 21854 is the change right after the 2.4.9 release, and you say 21886 fails for you. You can quickly check that it really is 21886 by trying 21873 (if you've already done that and it works, great, it isn't clear from your email, so just say so explicitly). If that also crashes, then try 21862. If that works, try 21868 otherwise 21854.

Regards,
John Ralls