Unable to post bills/invoices

kerekgyarto istvan at kerekgyarto.hu
Wed Feb 8 05:49:09 EST 2012

Dear All,

I've been experimenting with GnuCash for some while now, and I came across
this problem. I was trying to post a bill for a payment that will be due
later, but the account field in the post window would not allow me to choose
an account. I have a liability/accounts payable account, but the field does
not show it. When I try to add a new liability account through the "new"
button in the post window, it gets processed, but again the account field is
blank and I cannot get to input or list any account names in it.

Interestingly, I have another file on the same machine, same GnuCash
version, where i _can_ post bills. But in this file on the other hand I
cannot post invoices for accounts receivable (even though I have such an
account in my accounts list).

This prevents me from booking liabilities and accounts receivable.

Alternatively my question is, do I necessarily have to use the
billing/invoice infrastructure to get liabilities/A-Rs into my accounting?
Couldn't I just write each item straight into the proper account with a due
date?

Thanks,
   István