How to print VAT rates on the invoices

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.idps.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 07:09:15 EST 2012

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:39:30 +0100
William Anderle <william.anderle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody
> I'd need help with a function of GnuCash
> Please not that I'm not a programmer, neither an accounting expert,
> so excuse me if my terms aren't perfect.
>
> I'm trying testing GnuCash on a little Italian business, to see if it
> could be a suitable accounting program.
>
> As far as I see, it lacks a very important function which my client
> (and I suppose many others) absolutely needs:
> the ability to print on the invoices the VAT rate applied on the
> individual terms.
>
> I try to be more clear:
> -when I insert the data into the invoices, I'm able to chose
> different VAT rates (eg., 10% on manpower, 20% on goods and so on);
> -when I print the invoice, the final sum is correct; however, the
> print page rather than than the different VAT rates just shows a "T"
> which means "taxable".
> Please take a look at the image below to better understand what I
> mean: http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3516/gnucashproblem2.jpg
>
> Is it possibile to print the VAT rate rather than just a "T"?
> If yes, how?
>
> Thanks to everyone for help.
>
> Best regards

Yes it can be done.  What invoice are you using?  If it's the printable
invoice then the fix is fairly easy if you can find and edit invoice.scm
and you have set up your sales tax tables so that each VAT rate has
it's own account.  If you have set up your tax tables for say, VAT 20%,
VAT 10%, VAT 0% then these can be displayed on each invoice line.

Find and make a backup of invoice.scm.
Then edit invoice.scm, find line near line 217

;; Translators: This "T" is displayed in the taxable column, if this entry contains tax
comment the T line with a semi colon or two ;;
Then add the line
(_ (gncTaxTableGetName (gncEntryGetInvTaxTable entry))) "")))
below it.

Restart GnuCash and test.

Alternatively (easier) use the Tax Invoice which shows the tax rate by line.

Mike Evans