Compression

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Wed Feb 15 05:52:27 EST 2012

On 14 February 2012 at 15:04, Alex Aycinena said:

[...]
> That message you got ("This file/URL appears to be from a newer
> version of GnuCash. You must upgrade your version of GnuCash to work
> with this data.") is from an update I put in just recently. You don't say
> but, because of this, I assume you are using gnucash version 2.4.10 on
> your Windows platform. However, I don't understand why you would get that
> particular message under these circumstances.
>
> So I did some tests but could not reproduce your results.

Yes I am using 2.4.10.

I found another old test file and was able to produce the same result. I
am attaching a copy in case you may be able to work something out. (This
file contains only fictitious data, nothing private.)

The attached file was created by 7-zip 4.65. The settings were:
Archive format: GZip
Compression level: normal
Compression method: deflate (no other choice available)
Dictionary size: 32KB (no other choice available)
Word size: 32

GnuCash will not open this file. If I extract the contained file, GnuCash
opens that with no complaints.

Opening the original (uncompressed) file in JEdit and saving as .gz
produces a slightly smaller compressed file (than the 7-Zip version)
which GnuCash also refuses to open.