Updating multiple Sales Tax tables in gnucash

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Feb 17 14:59:48 EST 2012

Hi,

On Fri, February 17, 2012 12:53 pm, J. Anthony Hertzler wrote:
[snip]
> We sell portable buildings over an area of fifteen or twenty counties.
> Because we deliver them to the customer, the delivery destination is
> considered to be the point of sale. This means we need a tax table for
> every county that calculates county and state tax, and a tax table for
> every town we deliver to that calculates the town, county, and state
> tax. This might be a total of fifty or more separate tax tables.
>
> Now the state sales tax changes by half a percent. To update my tax
> tables I have to open the tax table editor just before the change kicks
> in, and manually edit the state entry on each of those 50 tables
> individually. This introduces lots of opportunity for error and mistaken
> tax charges as a result.
>
> Obviously this isn't likely to happen often on the state level, but it's
> fairly common for one county or another to change the tax rate, again
> requiring manual changing of each individual town in that county.
>
> Am I overlooking a feature that would allow me to set these tables up in
> a hierarchy such that I could change the state sales tax rate and have
> that reflected in each tax table that included state sales tax? If so,
> how is it done? If not, it seems like it should be considered to add as
> an important feature for businesses that need to make sales in many
> different sales tax jurisdictions.

I am afraid that you have hit a real limitation in the current design and
implementation.  Alas, there is no good way to do what you are currently
trying to do.  A Hierarchy of Tax Tables would indeed be one way to
approach it, but that would not be easy to do right now.

So I am afraid that right now there is nothing to speed up the process.

Sorry,

> -Anthony Hertzler

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745