Quebec sales tax

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 21:50:21 EST 2012

Hi Somen,

On 2012-02-20, at 07:25, Somen wrote:

> Hi,
> I live in Québec where Quebéc sales tax is added to items purchased after Federal sales tax has been added to that item.  i.e. We pay Québec sales tax on the item when its Federal tax has already been added in. How do I enter an item to account for this double sales tax addition?
> Somen

I’m not very familiar with GnuCash’s automatic sales tax handling, if there is any, but here’s how I would enter the transaction (using example accounts and dollar figures and also assuming QST of 7% on top of GST, let me know if I’m wrong):

20 Feb 2012 Buy Food
Debit  Expenses:Food    $1.00
Debit  Expenses:Tax:GST $0.05
Debit  Expenses:Tax:QST $0.0735
Credit Assets:Wallet    $1.1235

Note that this would have to be done in a split transaction-entry mode or in the General Journal; and you would ask GnuCash to calculate the tax amounts for you while entering the transaction, by just entering the calculations e.g. for GST .05*1 and for QST .07*1.05*1. The remaining credit amount should be entered automatically by GnuCash as the balancing amount.

Hope that’s clear; if not, let me know and I’ll try to get you a screenshot.

Regards,

Yawar