"Advanced Portfolio" realized gain/loss

Sebastien Alborini salborini at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 02:33:56 EST 2012

On 25/02/2012 03:02, Robin Chattopadhyay wrote:
> +1 for this method.
>
> This is exactly how I handle reinvested dividends; everything between the
> account for the security and what I call the "Uninvested Cash" account.
>
> This actually works well when importing OFX files because my brokerage (as
> well as the 401k recordkeeper) treats dividend reinvestments as two
> separate transactions: one for the receipt of cash and one for the purchase
> of shares.
>
> But like Derek said, the Advanced Portfolio report doesn't show the
> dividends as income.

I can't remember where I've seen it, but the trick I've used for this is
to add the security account as an empty split (0 value) in the dividend
transaction.

So the dividend transaction would look like this:
Asset:Brokerage:Cash       deposit 10
Asset:Brokerage:Security   all blank
Income:Dividend            withdrawal 10

The blank line has no value, so does not affect balance, its purpose is
to attach the income to this particular security in the advanced
portfolio report.

- Sebastien