Finding a stray transaction

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Feb 26 09:55:27 EST 2012

Hi,

On Sun, February 26, 2012 9:44 am, Grant wrote:
>>> I'm trying to find the transaction or transactions which are
>>> preventing one of my gnucash accounts from reconciling.  The latest
>>> month I'm trying to reconcile checks out itself, so there must be a
>>> problem in a previous month.  Does anyone have any advice for tracking
>>> down the problem?
>>>
>>> The only thing I can think of is manually un-reconciling each
>>> transaction in each previous month so I can test re-reconciling each
>>> month until I find the problem.  That would be an insanely laborious
>>> process.
>>
>> Does the Starting Balance for the latest statement agree with the
>> starting balance in Gnucash reconcile dialog.  If not then you are
>> correct, it is a problem with a previous reconcile.  Possibly a
>> reconciled transaction has been modified after reconcile.
>>
>> Colin
>
> They do not agree so I think I've got a problem with a previous
> reconcile.  Do I need to manually un-reconcile each previous
> transaction one-by-one and re-reconcile each statement?

Possibly..  Are there any unreconciled transactions earlier in the
register that would account for the difference?  If not, then you might
have deleted the errant transaction -- to find *that* you would either
need to unreconcile, or just add one and reconcile it with the current
month.

I would also recommend that you run Actions -> Reset Warnings to make sure
that GnuCash will warn you when you try to modify a reconciled transaction
in the future.

> - Grant

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745