Credit Note Alternatives

Keith Fetterman kfetterman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 15:32:41 EST 2012

Hi Geert,

I experimented with your suggestion (from Robert Brush) below for handling
credit notes. Could you clarify one point?

Another method of dealing with credit notes was explained to me by Robert
> Brush:
> Currently I process credit memo's by creating a standard invoice, but using
> negative quantity fields, it won't save this way of course.  The last item
> on
> the invoice I put Refund in the description field and use a top level Asset
> account labeled "Refunds" then enter a value to cancel the preceding lines.
> The business logic won't allow you to save a negative invoice, but it will
> allow a zero balance save.  To apply the credit to their account, you
> receive
> a payment to the Refund account, making the refund account return to zero.
>  If
> you are actually refunding the money you can do a transfer from the
> checking
> account, or the cash account into the Refund account, solving the
> disappearing
> money and returning the Refund account to zero.  This allows the recording
> of
> negative income, negative sales tax, and applying funds.

You mention 1) receiving a payment from the Refund account and 2) transfer
money between a checking account and Refund account.  Do you perform both
of these steps for every customer credit note?  Or, do you do one or the
other depending if you want to apply the credit to a future invoice (step
1) or refunding the money to the customer (step 2)?

In my case, I need to refund the customer by sending a check from the
checking account. In my experiment, I tried to perform both steps (step 1
first then step 2.)  This didn't work because receiving the payment from
the Refund account zero's out the Refund account.  There is no money in the
Refund account to transfer to the checking account.

In the previous experiment, I did have a negative balance in the AR account
so I tried to zero this out and create a credit transaction (withdrawal) in
the checking account for the check.  I tried to do by creating another
payment, but the payment needs to be negative.  I discovered in GnuCash
2.4.10, I can not create a negative payment.

Am I missing something?

I discovered the Customer Summary report shows the reduced income from the
customer, but the Customer Report does not show the refund unless I perform
step 1.  The originating invoice that creates the refund shows as $0 in the
Customer Report.  Ideally, it would show a negative invoice (or credit
note) and a positive payment.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Keith