Python extensions.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 27 10:38:31 EST 2012

Hi,

"Robert (Bob) Eldon Talor" <philologos at mindspring.com> writes:

> Win XP SP 2 GnuCash 2.4.8
>
> Chapter 17. Python Extensions in GC manual says:
> "To be able to use Python scripts, GnuCash must have been compiled with this option enabled,"
>
> How does one determine whether this option is available?   I suspect the answer to this relates to the following question.

If you built gnucash yourself then you would know if you used the
--enable-python-bindings configure switch.  If you are using a binary
distribution then it all depends on how it was built.

We do not include the Python Bindings on any Windows builds, currently.
You would have to build GnuCash yourself to include them, but there is
no easy way to do it because the Python bindings are not integrated into
the windows build rules.

This may or may not change for the 2.6 release.

> The manual goes on to say:
> The script is called with the following command:
> python importer.py file_to_import, invoice_id > file_to_save_as.csv
>
> but does not indicate how that command is entered.  I looked through the menu system for any mention of python and could find none.
>
> Thanks for reading my question.

Yeah, this isn't going to work because:

1) you don't have Python installed, and
2) gnucash doesn't have the python bindings installed.