Disposal of fixed asset

Stein Erik Berget gnucash at berget.org
Tue Feb 28 02:01:14 EST 2012

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:57:44 +0100, Axel Essbaum <axel at essbaum.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to understand how to handle disposal of a fixed asset in
> Gnucash.

<snip />

> Details:
>
> I have an old laptop for my business.  It was purchased for $800 on
> 1.1.2009.  Its value today (after depreciation) is $161.  I just sold it
> for $200.  I understand I have $39 of profit but I really have no idea
> how to record it.  Is the $200 considered income?  Like, should it come
> from a "Sale of assets" income account?

I'm not an accountant, but I would do it like this:

As seen from the 'bank account':
			Deposit		Withdraw
asset:bank account: 	$200
  asset:oldcomputer:                	$161
income:sold off asset:					  $39

This would result in $200 in our bank account as it would in real life,
and you would also see your 'asset account' for the computer you just sold
go to $0 and you will see a 'profit' in one 'income' account somewhere.

Hope this helps! If any more pointers are needed, let me know! :-D Have a
happy accounting day :-P

--
Stein Erik