Crash When Entering Tax Data - GC 2.4.4 (Debian Squeeze Backports)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 28 09:41:26 EST 2012

Hi,

Digger <careycher1 at msn.com> writes:

> I'm having a problem with GnuCash 2.4.4 (I'm running Debian Squeeze and got
> 2.4.4 from the Squeeze backports repo).
>
> I own a small business and am attempting to dispense with QuickBooks Pro and
> make the move to GnuCash.
>
> I have my accounts set up and am now attempting to assign tax identities to
> accounts that merit them.  Here is an example of the problem I'm
> encountering:
>

> I selected "Edit" -> "Tax Report Options" to open up the "Income Tax
> Information" window.  I then loaded, into the "Income Tax Identity" section,
> "S Corporation - Files US Form 1120S Tax Return".
>
> In the "Accounts" section of said window, I selected "Licenses and Permits"
> (an Expense account).  I then checked the "Tax Related" box (in the "Account
> Tax Information" section) to activate the "TXF Categories" section of said
> window.  I then selected "Licenses" in the "TXF Categories" section.  I then
> clicked "OK".
>
> Back on the "Account" page, I clicked the "Expenses" master account
> and....the program crashed (the GnuCash window disappeared).
>
> I get the following message in gnucash.trace:
>
> *CRIT <Gtk> gtk_entry_set_text: assertion `text != NULL' failed*
>
> Well, I get it sometimes.  Sometimes, nothing shows up in gnucash.trace.
>
> Any clues as to what I should be trying next?

First thing you should do is upgrade to 2.4.10, as there have been many
bugfixes between 2.4.4 and 2.4.10; this may be one of them.

Then if you still have the problem in 2.4.10 then ask again.