invoicing expenses

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Jan 3 17:20:31 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 06:06:51PM -0800, Leger Wanaselja Architecture wrote:
> I am new to gnucash and hope to use it for my architecture and construction
> business. Is there a way to earmark individual expenses to customers or jobs
> and then have them show up on invoices?  I don't really see an easy way to
> do this.  And without a really good system, I am afraid I will miss some
> expenses.  Anyone have this issue before?

When you enter an expense voucher, you have the option of specifying
what customer the item is for, and which job.  You also have the
option of tagging a given line as billable or not.

If you have expenses for several different customers, you need
different vouchers.

In attempting to close up my year, however, I discovered that the
expense vouchers seemed not actually to be working as I expected:
amounts didn't seem to get posted to the account I thought I'd
directed them to, and apparently aren't showing up anywhere.  I have
no idea what the problem is (although I'd not be surprised if it had
to do with multiple currencies -- the currency function is, frankly,
almost always completely surprising to me and it's bitten me over and
over).  So be sure your things are working as you expect before you do
a lot of work with them, or you'll be scrambling like I have been to
get your financial data to your accountant.

Best,