invoicing expenses

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jan 5 15:39:06 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 02:50:00PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Yes, the invoice (voucher) caches the currency of the customer (employee)
> when you select the customer (employee).
>
> After you unpost the voucher and update the employee currency, then you
> will need to *edit* the voucher and reselect the employee through the
> search dialog.  Once you do this it will reset the currency of the voucher
> to the (updated) currency of the employee.

Oh, sweet!  Thanks.  You've saved me a lot of work.

I've been bitten by the funny way these things work together more than
once.  I feel like there's something I missed in the manuals, but
maybe it's not there?  Is there perhaps a need for something about the
way the currency stuff interacts with the business features?  I'm
thinking somehting along the following lines:

    If you deal in multiple currencies, be aware that the currency
    setting of the customer or employee _at the time an invoice or
    voucher is created_ is what determines the currency for that
    invoice or voucher.  So, for instance, if you have a customer
    billed in United States Dollars, then any new invoice for that
    customer will be created using US Dollars.  If you want to use a
    different currency, set the currency on the customer or employee
    before starting the invoice or expense voucher.  If you need to
    change the currency later, then you do that by changing the
    customer or employee's currency, editing the invoice or voucher,
    and selecting anew that cusomer or employee.

    Note that this means a voucher or invoice can only be in one
    currency at a time.  For invoices, this is normal, but expenses
    can sometimes span more than one currency.  The only solution for
    that is to create more than one voucher, changing the employee's
    currency each time before creating the voucher.

?

Thanks for your help.  Learning that I don't have to re-do all that
data entry is a godsend!

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com