trouble debugging a Finance::Quote::Fidelity hack

Peter Mao peter.mao at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 02:14:49 EST 2012

I'm running gnucash 2.2.8 with perl 5.10.0 and Finance::Quote 1.05 on Fedora 10.

The Fidelity.pm module is listed as inoperative, but I hacked the perl
code to look at
"https://fastquote.fidelity.com/webxpress/popup_quote.phtml?SID_VALUE_ID="
instead, tacking the ticker symbol on the end.  I did it to get at
some quotes only available there (FAVCF, FVIFC, FAVGR).

It works fine when I run my own test code.  And it works fine when I
run "src/quotes/gnc-fq-dump fidelity FAVCF":

$ gnc-fq-dump fidelity FAVCF
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: FAVCF                <=== required
      date: 01/10/2012           <=== required
  currency: USD                  <=== required
      last:                      <=\
       nav: 45.930957            <=== one of these
     price: 45.930957            <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

but when I try to get my quotes through gnucash (via Tools>Price
Editor>Get Quotes), it hangs up, going into an infinite loop and I
have to kill gnucash.  Unfortunately, I'm not awesome enough at lisp
to hack the gnucash source.

Questions:
1. Is there better test code available?
2. Would it be appropriate to post my source code for Fidelity.pm?
3. does anyone know how to get some error messages out of gnucash?
There was nothing of note in my .xsession-errors file.  Not sure where
else I might look.

Peter