Trouble Importing QIF to Gnucash 2.4.8

Bruce Perryman bperryman_us at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 10:39:21 EST 2012

Thanks again for all of your help. And thanks for advising me to adjust my thinking from categories to accounts.

Based on your replies, it seems like this management software generates invalid .qif files. There are ^^ all throughout the .qif(s). I would have to manually change all of these. Also, not understanding the process, at first I put an arbitrary !Type:XX just to satisfy the requirement. That allowed me to continue through the import, but it yielded no apparent change in my gnucash data. I then put a name of an existing account to see if there was any difference for example, !Type:Checking. That produced the same results (nothing) as the !Type:XX.

Should I create accounts in gnucash that match what is contained in the .qif(s) before I perform the import? Again, the management software's accounts have been created with 'quicken account or category' specifications so that when I perform the import the transactions are either directed to the appropriate accounts or new accounts are created.
For example, in this software I can create an account called PettyCash and specify that it is a quicken account. When I export a .qif, the file is generated like I showed you without the !Type statement and with the ^^s. Quicken has no problem importing it and if the account doesn't exist, Quicken will ask if I want to create it.

I will need to make sure that the process is as seamless as possible. What will I need to do to ensure that gnucash will understand what is being given? It is apparent that the version of the software is compatible with Quicken but not gnucash. I need to determine if the issues are show stoppers. I will try the single ^ and see if that produces any different results.

Thanks, you've been extremely helpful.