Trouble Importing QIF to Gnucash 2.4.8

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Jan 12 12:08:30 EST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, January 12, 2012 11:09 am, Bruce Perryman wrote:
> OK. I put a correct (!Type:Bank) first line and kept the double carets ^^.
> The import worked fine. The only thing that was asked was an account name.
> Gnucash stated that the .qif does not have an account name and that I
> should supply one. When I supplied the account name in the wizard it was
> fine. Where should the account name be specified in the .qif? Is this
> another line that is missing in the 'invalid' .qif?
>
> Again, your help is so greatly appreciated. I'm sure that I will find some
> other issues that I don't quite understand in this migration to gnucash. I
> hope that you won't mind helping.

No, it's quite normal to ask which account is being imported.  It
generally assumes the account name from the file name.  So if the file is
named foo.qif it will assume the QIF Account name is foo.  You can then
map that to the GnuCash Account Assets:Foo in the importer.

Getting the QIF to specify the QIF Account adds a lot of complexity to the
QIF file.  I don't have a good example to point you at, I'm afraid.

> Best regards.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745