Price Editor changed currency basis?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jan 12 23:36:16 EST 2012

On Jan 12, 2012, at 7:53 PM, FireFly wrote:

> I have a couple of UK stocks, until recently the prices were reported from FQ in pounds, i.e. a share worth 20p would have a price as 0.20
>
> Today I ran Price editor and got qutes, I was, "shocked" to see the totals in my accounts, but then found that it was now reporting a share worth 20p as 20.00, so my shares looked like they'd increased 100 fold, which would be nice but!
>
> Anyone know why this might have happened (or how I might be able to resolve it)?

I ran `gnc-fq-dump europe BP.L` just now and got
/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-dump europe BP.L
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
   symbol: BP.L                 <=== required
     date: 01/12/2012           <=== required
 currency: GBP                  <=== required
     last: 479.50               <=\
      nav:                      <=== one of these
    price: 479.50               <=/
 timezone:                      <=== optional

That says the quote is £479.50, which seems unlikely to me. It's really £4.795, right? (UK stock prices are quoted in New Pence IIRC.)
Have a look at the price history for one of your stocks in Tools>Price Editor and see if they changed the currency or the way they report it.

Regards,
John Ralls