track loan from my 401k

Tom Collier tom.collier at comcast.net
Tue Jan 17 14:27:13 EST 2012

You'd track it like any other loan...it's just from yourself to
yourself.

Create a new Liability account called "401k" Loan or whatever you want
to name it. The Opening Balance would be whatever your original loan
amount is.

Then, if you don't already have one, also create an "interest paid"
account under Expenses.

As you make payments on the loan, you'll split each payment: $xxx to
principal reduction, and allocated to your 401k liability account, and
$xxx allocated to interest expense, until it's paid down to a zero
balance.  Your statement should give you the split, as in $$$ to
principal reduction, $$$ to interest.

Tom