Check 21

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jan 21 12:13:41 EST 2012

> I hope that this isn't an incredibly dumb question.  Can GnuCash print
> Check21 compliant checks?  That is, if the print was the correct size?
> And if the checks are drawn on US or Canadian banks?
>
> I assume that I can purchase Check21 compliant blank checks from
> someplace by telephone, perhaps, so that I do not transfer my checking
> account number over the internet.  Is that a fair assumption?
>
> So far, I have not been able to figure out exactly why Intuit states
> that wallet checks printed from their Quicken 2005 or earlier programs
> are not Check21 compliant.
>
> Is this an issue only for wallet size checks?

r21409 added quicken_check_21.chk, a modification of the quicken wallet check that's supposed to match the new format.
I can't guarantee that it actually complies with the standard, but do try it out. Gnucash obviously doesn't care about what bank the check is drawn on, it's just formatting the data you provide.

As for the security of your account number, frankly I have more confidence in an https connection between my computer and the vendor's computer than I do in some meth or oxy addicted call center operator in Appalachia.

Presumably Intuit says that because it's true, and they changed the format after Quicken 2005 to be compliant.

Regards,
John Ralls