Entering a Stock Sale

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 22 23:56:02 EST 2012

On Jan 22, 2012, at 3:16 PM, ThatDude wrote:

> I'm having trouble understanding how to enter a stock sale consisting of two
> different lots. I have read chapter 8.7. What I would like to accomplish is
> a transaction register like the following:
>
> Purchase of 100 shares at price X              <- Lot A
> Purchase of 10 shares at price Y > X          <- Lot B
> Sold: 90 shares
>
> And I would like the single sold line to sell the 10 shares from lot B, and
> then 80 shares from lot A. So, how do I get GnuCash to do this? Whenever I
> try to enter a split transaction it will only allow me a single line to sell
> shares.

As far as Gnucash is concerned whatever an account contains is fungible, so it doesn't let you create separate splits in a single transaction like that.
You could split it into separate transactions or leave it as one and add a memo saying "10 from B, 80 from A" or some such, and calculate your cap gains accordingly. But beware: As of last year your broker is reporting both the basis and proceeds to the IRS based on what you instruct them when you sell. Your Sched D has to match what the broker reports or you'll get a letter from the IRS.

Regards,
John Ralls