Why transcoding (was: Encoding problems - MySql backend)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Jan 23 08:47:11 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 07:50:06PM -0800, John Ralls wrote:

> indicate what happened? As an aside, the only transcoding in Gnucash
> that I'm aware of is in the XML backend. Internally it's UTF-8 all
> the way -- unless there's ASCII in some dark corner that I haven't
> found yet.

Not a dark corner, but why would there be any transcoding from UTF-8
when using XML?  Since UTF-8 is one required Unicode form for XML,
wouldn't it be better just to keep it UTF-8?

(It also suprises me that Gnucash is doing UTF-8 internally always on
Windows, since Windows doesn't use UTF-8 normally; so there'd be
cleanup needed at input.)

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com